Talk to me..


Friday, November 30, 2007

Movie Buff

I just loooooooove watching movies.

Being in Pune which has a lot of multiplexes, I’ve been for a lot of movies every month. When I was pursuing my graduation in Goa there were no multiplexes so we used to go to theatres like Samrat in Panjim & Vishant in Margao. Even now when I’m down in Goa and meet up with friends for lunch in Panjim, a post lunch movie at Inox is always welcome. Atleast, one gets to escape from the torture of the sun and be as cool as a cucumber in the theatre.

Sometimes, I feel if I weren’t in HR, one of the ‘top 5’ options on my career list would be a movie usher at Inox. He he.. :-)

Watching movies in the theatre and on the TV/laptop are two different experiences. Now I’m sure you must be thinking that I’m referring to the wide screen experience. Yeah! That is one difference. But another major difference for me is that given a device, which has the FWD option, I can really make good use of it. This option applies mostly whilst watching hindi movies. All the naach gaana, unwanted masala can be easily done away with just one click. One can finish watching a 3 hours movie in 2 hours. That’s time management for you.

Also you don’t need to utilize your brainpower to guess the story of a hindi movie. Within the first 5-10 minutes of the movie, you know what the end is gonna be like. Or if you watch the last 10 mins you know what the movie must have been like. It’s very unlike a Hollywood movie, where you have to literally break your head guessing the script. Even if you miss the first 10 mins of a Hollywood flick you’re in trouble..

And if you’re a movie buff like me, I’m sure you must have realized by now that the chaps in Bollywood can’t write (or type or foresee) an original film script. Ok some of them confess that their scripts are inspired by a Hollywood movie XYZ.. But most of their movies are pure copies of Hollywood movies. The only effort they put in is to modify the story here and there to resemble an Indian setting. I guess that’s what they are paid for. ;)

Anyway, when I shifted here I realized I have a lot of free time, especially on Sunday and other holidays. So, some of the ways I pass my time out here is watching movies, blogging and internet surfing. My Mom feels I should be doing embroidery, knitting and crochet. I dare to think otherwise..

A friend of mine too loves watching movies and this time when I went to Goa, I flicked his CD/DVD case. Ok!!!!! flicked is too harsh a word and it sounds like I’m a chor. But no I didn’t rob it but took his movies with grace ;) By using the term ‘with grace’ I wholly imply that the movies are given to me. I added them to the pile of movies I already have at home.

I’m enclosing a list of movies that I have. Of course the no. of movies on the list will go on increasing as I add more. But if anyone of you is interested in swapping movies do let me know. After all, I’m only an email away......

1 comment:

Dereck Fernandes said...

I have been to Vishant, its a pretty run-down place. I think INOX has given Goa a better deal, even for the price, its cleaner, safer and good. I think there is a multiplex in Margao too now.
Well fast forwarding a movie actually kills the purpose of the entertainment. Its like reading the 1st Chapter and Last Chapter of a book before choosing to read it, I'd rather read the back cover and the 1st chapter and then choose to read the book. Sometimes I have wondered if I did not see the movie without interruptions (forwarding it or taking breaks) would I be able to narrate the movie to someone who has not seen it. I think it makes a difference. I had a friend who if started to read a book would only stop once he finished it, that way he could describe the story in a very entertaining manner rather than bits and pieces, then when some listened to him he would be inspired to read the book. Hmmm its like a conversation.... Sometimes I wonder how many of us can really tell a story to someone. Maybe we pause too much before we do things.
Seeing movies in theater is getting expensive, I think movie reviews help in determining if it is worth watching. But at the end of it you are the judge. I mix my choices, always see movies with good reviews in theater.... Movies that are off to be downloaded via torrent and watched. Some of the best movies made..... You should see Tare Zameen Par..... Its awesome....